Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ross On Power

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine asked me to be a guest lecturer for a class he taught at The Wharton School of Business. Now, I normally try not to help any university other than Harvard, let alone one outside of the Ivy League (personal prejudices preclude Penn's inclusion), but seeing as this was an acquaintance I acquiesced. Of course I must admit my motives transcended friendship, as it so happened that the dean of the school held a seat on the board of my employer.

What the lecture was about is lost to time, I don't recall, nor is it important. However, there is one detail that I shall never forget and that was the question posed to me by one of the students: How does it feel to have so much power?

I looked at the eager sycophant, obviously an intelligent young man, and said, "Take the finest Cuban cigar you've ever had the pleasure of smoking, the smoothest single malt to ever grace your lips and the finest woman you've ever enjoyed. You could multiply that pleasure by one hundred and still not come close to replicating the feeling."

I gave that lecture over twenty years ago, yet I'll never for get the look in that lad's face as my wisdom took hold. I kept tabs on him as he ventured forth with his career, and after he achieved the success and power he sought, I called him and asked him the very question he asked of me so long ago. His reply? "Power illuminates the soul, Mr. Ross."

Sadly, shortly thereafter the energy company he worked for collapsed and he was arrested for fraud. But, at least he got to taste that which eludes so many.

Will it elude you?

No comments: