Tuesday, February 26, 2008

White Lies: Stretching the Truth in Resumes

Have you ever exaggerated the truth on your resume? No? I’m sorry, I guess I mistook you for someone who would do anything to get ahead. I must have you confused with someone who wants to fly first class and buy expensive pens.

Let me clue you in on a not-so-little secret: the truth doesn’t set you free; it holds you back. Without a little exaggeration and deception you’ll find yourself stuck living the life of a cube dwelling cog in the corporate machine. I hope you like wearing Haggar wrinkle-free chinos and short-sleeved dress shirts from JC Penny, because that’s what honesty gets you.

But Mr. Ross, what happens if HR discovers my lies? If you’re doing a great job and working for the right boss that shouldn’t matter. Personally, I think it shows initiative. If I wanted to hire a Dudley Do-Right Boy Scout, I’d hire my grandson.

Humility has no place in a resume. Remember that.

No comments: