Monday, May 19, 2008

Ross' Rules: Whenever I damn well please

For the last few weeks my secretary has been getting pestered by a journalist wishing to chronicle me for an article on ethics and management. Obviously I am a man of importance so I can understand why he wants to write about me. However, it appears he doesn't know that important men have little in the way of disposable time. And as much as I would like to help this young man, and as flattered as I am that he wishes to make me the focus of his story, I have neither the time or need to bend my schedule to accommodate his.

Which brings me to this week's rule: make them come to you.

You are busy. You are important. And your time is your most precious commodity. Your world should revolve around the company and those you manage should revolve around you. Make your underlings rearrange their schedules to accommodate yours. Who cares how if they have to cancel that long-planned vacation to finish a project that will end up getting shelved. If they want to work for you that's exactly what they'll do. You've missed more than a few dance recitals, school programs and soccer games in your life, it's time they do the same. When pesky journalists, PR hacks or ad agency types tell you a deadline is unrealistic, stare them in the face and thank them for their time. Then tell them you're putting the account up for review.

Do I want the article written? Of course. But let's face it, this is not the first, nor will it be the last story penned about G. Glen Ross.

No comments: