Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Ross' Rules: Write Well

This may come as a surprise, but to be successful you must grasp the English language in written form. Obviously for some of you this presents a formidable challenge. Get over it.

Yes, texting may be more convenient and yes, constructing a well thought out, grammatically correct sentence can be challenging, however, there is no better way to identify one's self as an incompetent technical school dropout than through poor writing skills.

Your words are a reflection of who you are. They communicate your professionalism, attention to detail and intellectual capacity. More importantly, your words are the key to your success. For if you cannot write, you cannot succeed.

I, myself, happen to take great pride in my writing abilities. Correct, I take great pride in all that I do, but I find my writing to be elegant and refined, humorous and insightful, informative and intelligent. There are those who maintain that my language is often stuffy and verbose, bloated even. They argue that I too frequently utilize words that are antiquated and obese. They suggest I trim the fat, so to speak.

To them I ask, how much are you worth?

No comments: