Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Things that I can afford that the middle class cannot: classic auto racing

While the middle class clings to the manufactured drama of NASCAR and manifests their dreams of glory on the rural dirt tracks that dot the landscapes of this great country I and my well heeled friends participate in a racing series held on private tracks that replicate only the most famous of courses. From the letter below you'll see we have grand times and Grand Prixs.

Mr. Ross

I very much appreciate your participation in my 6th annual Classic Champions Grand Prix. I'm sorry that turn 11 was so detrimental to your 1958 Ferrari Testa Rossa. Should your mechanics require any assistance, my staff would be honored to provide their wisdom. After all, two of my mechanics worked on the team with which your car won the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1958. It is truly a wonderful car with a rich history.

When I was designing my personal Grand Prix race course with Alain Prost and Michael Schumacher, Michael and I decided the first 15 turns on my personal Grand Prix road course should be modeled after the first 15 turns on the Nurburgring. Of course, just like the Nurburgring and turn 11 always catches those that come in like my mistress: a little too hot. Had you been able to hold on until the Circuit de la Sarthe section (obviously influenced by Mr. Prost) everyone would have certainly seen you and your Ferrari perform with the grace and style of Barishnikov.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the 7th annual Classic Champions Grand Prix! Once again the entry requirements for the marquee event of the weekend will require an automobile of Italian, German, British, or French heritage from between 1950 and 1965 and, as always, the automobile must have been driven to a first place finish in a Grand Prix event during that time span. Now, should you wish to leave the Ferrari at home and try your hand at something different, I am currently designing a Rally Car course with World Rally Car champions Sebastien Loeb and Tommi Maakinen. It should prove to be a great time of dirty fun, just like YOUR mistress!

Your friend,

F. Bertignolli

No comments: