Friday, September 5, 2008

The Week in Review and Things I can afford that the middle class cannot.

Too often we who live above the masses tend to discount the responsibilities we have in keeping them informed and enlightened. My fellow readers, for the last few months I have forsaken this responsibility and for that I am apologetic. A reader recently commented that he found my recent posts to be uninspired and inconsistent. He is right.

So what do you say we get back on track with a double dose of that which you love so much?


The Week in Review

Sarah Who?

Last week my favorite maverick rocked the political world by nominating the little known Governor of Alaska , Sarah Palin as his running mate. Decried by many as proof that he is out of touch, she proved to be the spark that this campaign desperately needed. Turns you can be a cutthroat pit bull and well-liked. But only if you are attractive. Sorry Hillary.

Dow Takes a Constitutional


Why sugar coat what happened to the market this week? I literally lost a boat load of money - a beautiful 1940 Cris Craft Custom Runabout wad of cash.


Putin Blames the U.S for Georgian Conflict

To paraphrase the former Russian president and former head of the KGB or FSB or whatever gestapo secret police they've got over there, the US deliberately provoked Georgia into attacking South Ossetia to create a competitive advantage for one of the candidates running for president of that country.

If you don't understand that argument either I don't blame you. Clearly blending fantasy and reality is a feat hard to achieve.


Things I can afford that the middle class cannot.

They say one cannot collect an original Rembrandt painting these days. In fact, they say one cannot even collect a Rembrandt drawing unless they are a multi-millionaire. Obviously they don't know G. Glen Ross.

I do own a Rembrandt painting - a nude. Mrs. Ross wanted one so I bought it for her. It was the eighth most expensive financial transaction I've ever partaken in. She hung it in her dressing room and then she rewarded me by raising my McCane. It was all quite nice.

See, the thing is we wealthy appreciate great art for what it gives back to the world. Some may say it is obscene to spend so much on little dabs of paint. They might suggest picking up a reproduction or a poster. But what they don't know, what few outside of the art world know is that the true meaning of the artist's intentions can only be found in the original piece of work.

I know, I know, to the middle class to speak of art in such a way sounds so unexpectedly womanly, but should we really expect open minded, cultured thinking from a group of people who's favorite piece of literature is the weekly Auto Trader? I mean, the only beauty these people are capable of seeing
is a framed Walmart reproduction of Unicorns prancing through La-La Land with naked little nymphs frolicking in pixie powder. And even that they can barely afford.

No comments: