Monday, April 14, 2008

Ross' Rules: Banish Humility

Of all the hateful criticism lobbed my way from jealous competitors and scorned lovers, perhaps the most amusing is that of my perceived arrogance. Arrogance? Are simple statements of fact arrogant? Is awareness of one's own excellence the mark of hubris?

For the failed and failing the answer is yes.

Humility has no place in a successful man's world. Sure, the experts will tell you that such a trait endears one to his co-workers and management team. But I ask you this, do the experts travel to their multiple vacation homes in their luxuriously appointed Gulfstreams or Citations? Unless Southwest has upgraded their fleet, I think we all know the answer to that.

Arrogance has every place in society because arrogance is the body projecting success. And to paraphrase the famous saying, "it is not arrogance if you can back it up." In the gladiatorial arena that is Corporate America, arrogance is the first defense and best offense one has against detraction. In fact, I like to think of it as advertising. And while some might say that humor and emotion are the hallmarks of successful advertising, it is the repetitive loudmouths who are remembered. The humble wallflower may not have enemies, but the only people who know they exist are their families and the secretarial pool.

Humility makes me sick. In my mind the word is synonymous with weakness and failure. Last week I interviewed a VP candidate and when asked what his greatest weakness was, he actually answered, "I tend to overextend myself." I was shocked. Surely he had to have known that the successful have no professional weaknesses. Needless to say, the interview ended shortly thereafter. I believe he now works for his father-in-law.

To accuse the arrogant of being self-absorbed blowhards is to sell its impact short. Arrogance is part of the deception. Success begets success and you must become its magnet. Espousing your success lets the world beneath you know that you are better than they, and alerts the few above you that you are nipping at their heels. And while you may not willingly embrace arrogance, once you become accustomed to its warm bosom, you will never let it go.

1 comment:

paulmerrill said...

You are wrong. Humility is not bad. In fact, the opposite is true.