Friday, April 11, 2008

The Week in Review: 4/6 - 4/12

I got a busy day ahead of me so I'll make this quick. If you can't keep up, go read USA Today.

Airlines take a crap

By last count three airlines ceased operations this week, a fourth filed for Chapter 11 and American cancelled 900 flights. Of course this means nothing to me as the only airline I give a damn about is Ross Airways and we're doing fine, thank you.

Protesting the Olympics

Human rights activists rioted in France in protest of the upcoming Chinese Olympic games. Aiming fire extinguishers at the torch, they managed to extinguish it five times, forcing organizers to transport it by bus to its final destination. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. During my career I've managed thousands of people, so I know how essential it is to maintain order and discipline. If subjugating a few dissidents under the guise of national security means a safe Olympics, then so be it. Of course, rounding up terrorists won't prevent your lungs from melting after breathing in the fine Beijing air.

Polygamist compound raided

Last I checked, Texas was nowhere near Utah, though it seems that the Republic has a thing for harboring polygamists. Authorities were tipped off to what was really going on at the 1,600 acre religious compound when a teenage girl called to report she was being abused. Apparently she'd been forced to marry a 50-year-old man and gave birth to his child at age 15. Authorities raided the compund and removed two hundred women and children from the premises. Warren Jeffs, the father of this happy little place, is currently in an Arizona jail.

Of course the story itself is not humorous. What is, however, is Texas getting yet another black eye. Personally, I think Mexico should thank us for taking it off their hands.

No comments: