Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Things that I can afford that the middle class cannot: a complete and total disregard for the opinions of others

When you finish reading this post, I'd appreciate it if you would take the time to comment on what you thought of it. Oh wait, you can't. Why not, you ask? Answer: because frankly, I have no use for your opinion. And no, I don't care that such disregard on my part might hurt some feelings or wound a few egos.

After publishing last week's post-Easter Rule, I received a few pathetic comments that were so absurd that any and all vitriol was replaced by humor. Now, I’m well aware that the ability to form logical thoughts and coherent arguments are skills not deemed necessary in hippie communes, California and much of the Northeast, but even had these simpletons somehow managed to present a point that flirted with validity I would not have cared. The rich and powerful do not have to care.

I recall the early days of my career when I was only an associate. My co-workers and I would be working on projects and they would always be mindful of other’s input, frequently uttering such things as, “I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes” or “What are your thoughts on this?” It was pathetic, but I would play along so others would think of me as “part of the team.” Though, having never known anything but wealth never had the need for anyone’s opinion but my own.

The middle-class might argue that such egocentric narcissism has no place in today’s society. Of course, the proletariat would believe such nonsense. They cling to the hope that consideration will solve the world’s problems, but fail to comprehend that consideration clogs the wheels of progress and impedes the decision making process.

Sometimes, to humor myself, I solicit members of my staff for their opinions. Their eyes light up and their thoughts spill from their mouths like Mrs. Ross’ cleavage in a Versace cocktail dress. I nod politely and smile, all the while thinking of something more meaningful. When I no longer hear their voices I move on to the next topic, never acknowledging what the person said. From the highest high to the lowest low, their faces drop with the realization that their thoughts have been discounted - a beautiful sight indeed.

Being a man of wealth and power is to be a man without care. Consideration is a debt shouldered exclusively by the middle-class. How they live with such a burden I cannot comprehend. Fortunately, I’m not obligated to care.

No comments: